What exactly is an SSR? This electrical device can be elaborated on as a non-contact switch entirely composed of a solid-state electrical-element, which can go on to drive a high-current load with the help of a small control signal. It can complete the task of switching on and off with negligible contact and also no spark due to the switching characteristics of an electrical element (i.e. semiconductor components like switch transistor, triac and so on) present.
Using a solid state relays over electromagnetic relays results in the following advantages –
- High reliability in terms of safety and performance
- No contact apparatus
- No threat of sparks
- Long usage life span
- Fast and dynamic switching speed
- Strong anti-interference ability
- Compact size
It has widely been employed used in a wide range of applications like the CNC machine, remote control system, and industrial automation devices, chemical industry, medical equipment, security system, amongst so many others.
Solid State Replay Features
- SSRs do not have any internal mechanical elements – due to a fully sealed perfusion in the physical structure. Therefore, this results in the SSRs having a wide array of advantages such as vibration resistance, corrosion resistance, long life and high reliability.
- AC SSRs use zero-crossing triggering technology, which effectively reduces the voltage rise rate dv/dt and current rise rate di/dt on the line, ensuring that there is minimal SSR interference to the power supply in the long-term performance. This results in much lower noise.
- Since the switching time is short, the SSRs can be used in high-frequency applications.
- Optoelectronic isolation is employed between input circuits and outputs circuits, along with the fact that the insulation voltage is more than 2500V
- Using a solid-state relay results in low input power consumption, and it is also compatible with TTL and COMS circuits.
- The protection circuit is set in the output terminals
- High load capacity
The load capacity of different solid state relays is significantly impacted by the ambient temperature and its own temperature increase. In the installation process and usage, good heat emission conditions should be guaranteed to ensure peak performance. In general, for the SSR with rated operating current greater than 10A, radiators should be employed. For more than 100A, a radiator along with a fan should be employed also to facilitate forced cooling. During the installation process, it must be ensured that there is good contact between the bottom of the relay and the radiator, along with a sizeable amount of thermal grease coated appropriate to achieve the best cooling effect.
#SchneiderElectric is a leady brand in the domains of electrical and power management which is reliable when it comes to electric relays like a solid-state relay, contactors, contactor relays, and protection relays.